Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Atkins Diet Controversy

Fad diets are extremely popular, especially with the obesity epidemic that is occurring throughout America. The article that I found is specifically talking about fad diets and their detrimental effects on our bodies. To be more specific, the Atkins diet is one to cause controversy. Directly from the article, they say that "food agencies have issued the first official warnings over new-style diets amid claims that high-fat programs can kill." They also go on to explain that diets that exclude carbohydrates like cereals and breads tend to lean towards high-fat and high-protein diets. High-fat diets can lead to heart disease, diabetes and cancer and carbohydrates can actually prevent these risks by providing whole-grains. The article also explains that these high intakes of fat lead to high cholesterol and arterial problems that can cause heart disease and stroke. The Atkins diet also tells its consumers to stay AWAY from vegetables and fruits and to focus their diet on protein.

I was drawn to this article because I am in majoring in Dietetics, and we talk about fad diets all the time. We also talk about how these diets do provide drastic results, but they never last long and almost always will allow you to regain the weight you originally lost.

I found this article interesting because The Atkins diet was such a huge success and was extremely popular. I always knew that it wasn't the healthiest way to lose weight, and I wanted to expand my knowledge on just how unhealthy it really is. People are always trying to lose weight, and part of my job someday will to teach others how to do it in a more healthy and maintainable way. If you are constantly restricting yourself from these foods that your body needs, especially carbohydrates, your body goes into a stage called "ketosis" which can be very unhealthy for your metabolism. It not only slows it down, but it cuts out a huge part of the process that allows your body to have continual energy.

So here is my question: Although the Atkins diet does produce drastic results, do you think that this is a healthy way of losing weight? Are these risks worth the potential of being able to lose this weight? Let me know what you think.

Also, here is the link to the article that I found on LexisNexis:
New-wave dieters risk illness and death

Thanks guys! Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Overall the blog looks good but the font was a little distracting. You used some pathos which was a nice touch. You can really tell that nutrition is one of your interests. No matter where you look, you can easily tell that the article was about the Atkins Diet.

    I can't say too much for the Atkins Diet, as I don't know a whole lot about it. I did however learn that the Atkins Diet apparently doesn't allow you to eat fruits and vegetables which is ridiculous. Fruits have a lot a sugar so it's almost understandable but vegetables are mostly fiber and complex carbs which won't spike insulin. And then theres the obvious benefits of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Because of this, I would say that the Atkins Diet is NOT the way to go if you are looking for a long-term weight loss solution.

    However, I do know that there are some great benefits to using a ketogenic diet. I would say that a cyclical ketogenic diet would be the most effective way to lose fat especially if combined with cardio. It allows you to refill your glycogen deposits once a week by loading up on carbs.

    I don't want to write a novel so I'll leave it at that and say, Great job! Keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent feed back Carson- you showed support in the beginning and then provided a counter.

    Taylor,
    Good work on your first blog post. I am impressed that you have addressed the issue, what is at stake, and why you are interested.
    I think that as a reader I get a good sense of where you are headed with your blog- one question would be to provide evidence that states that the Adkins Diet specifically states no carbs.
    Great points on the fruits and veggies and the need for fiber.
    Ms. B

    ReplyDelete